Frequently Asked Questions-Arizona CCW Permit
How old must I be to apply?
You must be 21 years old at the time of application for a Arizona CCW Permit.
How long is the CCW Course and where is it held?
The course runs 8 hours in length and held at various shooting facilities valley wide. All classrooms are indoors and air-conditioned for your comfort.
What are the Residency requirements?
You do not have to be a resident of Arizona. AZ CCW Classes must however be taken only in the state of Arizona.
What is the difference between Recognition and Reciprocity?
Recognition is the simple fact that one State, through it's own State law, recognizes another State's CCW Permit, without the need for a formal written agreement.
Reciprocity is a formal written agreement between two States, to honor each others Permit. Either Recognition or Reciprocity the end result is the same, you can legally carry in one State with another State issued Permit. Check with the State you plan to visit to see what Permits they honor. You must abide by the laws of the State you are visiting, not the State that issued the Permit.
What are the requirements necessary to obtain an Arizona CCW Permit?
- Must be a United States citizen.
- Must be lawfully present in the United States.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Not under indictment or have not been convicted of a felony in the U.S. or elsewhere.
- Not convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence.
- Not under court order (i.e. order of protection, harassment, etc.)
- Not a fugitive from justice.
- Not a user of or addicted to any controlled substance.
- Not been dishonorably discharged from the Armed Forces.
- Have never renounced U.S. citizenship.
- Do not suffer from mental illness and have not been adjudicated mentally incompetent or committed to a mental institution.
- Have satisfactorily completed a DPS approved CCW Training Program (8 hours). Training must take place within Arizona.
How long is my CCW Permit good for?Five (5) Years. There is a 60 day grace period beyond your expiration date. If you do not meet the requirements of renewal by the end of the grace period, then you must re-take the full 8 Hour AZ CCW Course again. NO EXCEPTIONS!
When and how often must I renew my CCW Permit?Concealed weapon permits must be renewed every five (5) years. All applicants must complete a DPS renewal forms and submit forms to AZ DPS along with permit renewal fee before the expiration date listed on their permit.
What does the Arizona CCW Permit look like?
What topics are covered in this 8 Hour AZ CCW Course?
- Firearm Safety
- Range Qualifications
- Personal Protection
- Types of Handguns
- Judgmental Shooting
- Mental Conditioning
- Arizona Firearm Laws
- Review New Case Laws
- Current Legislation
- Interfacing with Law Enforcement
- Use of Deadly Force
What is included in the course fee?
All required AZ DPS CCW Permit application forms, all related printed material, Fingerprinting, Range Fees and Certificate of Completion.
What does the range handgun qualification consist of?
10 shots total. Minimum required distances are: 5 shots at Five (5) yards and five shots at Ten (10) yards, however, we at A&M INVESTIGATIONS, LLC reserve the right to qualify our students from the 10 yard distance only. A TQ15 Silhouette target is used. Qualifying shots must be placed in designated area of target in order to be counted as a hit. A 70% (7 out of 10 shots) score is required for range qualification.